Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Week 9, Thing 22: Learning About Audio Books

I like Overdrive alot. I think the audio book is pretty cool. I learned how to used the Maryland's Digital eLibrary Consortium in LATI. I find it very easy to use. I was a bit wary about audio books at first. I admit, I was a bit of a snob. "Listening to books? What? That's cheating!" But really, but difference does it make if you read a book and hear the words in your head or if you hear someone read them out loud? When my wife and I visit my family in Ohio, we take an audio book for the 8 hour drive. And although I don't have an MP3 player right now, I think when I do get one it's primary role will be to listen to audio books. They're particularly useful if you're trying to get through a book and it just isn't working. Take, for example, Moby Dick. There were parts I really like about Moby Dick as I was reading it, but I got bogged down about halfway though when Melville goes into his (boring) diatribe on whaling. But, I found that listening to Moby Dick though Overdrive helps me get through the boring parts. And it's a good way to go back and listen to parts you've already read if you wanter a refresher.

No comments: